Monday, September 22, 2014

Well I am in Fortaleza

The view from my window now

September 22, 2014

So I don`t really know where to start. I got to fortaleza on tuesday around noon. I love President Fusco, he is a great man and I am going to enjoy being with him for the next year and a half. So I got here and we had a 3 day training from the AP's and stayed in a little hotel every night. EVERYTHING is so different here. THe work is like multiplied by 10. It is like that much faster. Anyways the CTM was awesome, but it was my time to leave haha. Everyone at the mtc kept on checking on us and telling us how to plan and stuff. It was funny and really annoying at the same time haha. MY district there was super awesome so I was pretty sad about that actually.

So to be honest I am kind of in culture shock. I cant stop thinking about it. There is literally nothing that is the same here. Actually the only thing that is the same is that God loves the people here. I dont know what to do with myself. We live a completely different lifestyle here in Brazil. IT was like a big slap to the face from reality. I am probably going to sound like a baby in this email, but it is how I am feeling so here it goes.

We live in a house with two other missionaries. The place is just gross. Dirty and not really anything we can do about it. But I am starting to get used to it because every house that we go into looks the same. We go in and its basically just a ceramic floor walls and a sink at times. THey have tables and chairs and stuff too, but its just completely different. I need to get used to it fast haha. WE also dont have warm water at all, and cant drink the water. YOu wouldnt want to drink the water even if we could haha. The streets all smell like crap haha and have water running through them. IT is a WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD. I guess just writing this will help get things off my mind maybe.. hopefully. 

My companion is awesome. Elder Guimaraes. Basically just say Gimme rice. He is so different from all the other companions I have had though. Like I said earlier the work is completely different here. I just dont feel the conversions in the baptisms, but what do I know... pretty much nothing. THe standard of excellence here for baptisms is like 5 a week.... HOLY COW. We were supposed to have one this week but something got a little complicated.

I feel like when I got here my portuguese was pretty good. People were even telling me that my portuguese was better than the last elder who was there for 5 months. Well now I can honestly say that I think it is getting worse and worse every day. I just sit there and dont understand a thing they are saying. AT first I could almost understand it all.. .now its basically nothing, so it makes me feel even more lost.

SOmething else thats different is that we have lunch with members here.... Thats about all I eat all day too... haha no breakfast or dinner usually. Also my pedometer has almost doubled since the last time I checked which was the day Before I got here. NOw it is up to more than 60 miles haha... we walk a lot and I think we have a pretty big area.

I wont ever have a guitar here. Maybe thats also something that is eating me up on the inside. It was killing me to go 6 weeks without it... Now I have to go a year and 4 months without it.... holy cowww haha. 

Basically I need your guys prayers. I honestly at times wish I could be back in Washington loving the work again, but I know that I am supposed to be here and will learn to love it here as well. I love you, and miss you a lot especially right now, but I know that I will be ok. I am trying to work my hardest to really just lose myself in the work, Life is going to go on, but I need to be more patient and humble. 

I love you,

Elder Hamrick

My view from the window at the CTM in São Paulo 


almost all our district in the CTM at the SAo paulo temple



No comments:

Post a Comment