Monday, May 19, 2014

Sometimes we don't know what we can do until we are told

May 5, 2014

So this week was an interesting week. Transfers were on Wednesday. So
we basically didn't do anything until Wednesday. I really like the new
elder in our apartment. He is a really cool guy, and man does he know
his scriptures really well. It is crazy. He has been out 16 months.

We have done quite a bit of service this week. On Wednesday we went
over to our only current investigators house and cleared up a huge
bunch of dead limbs on a tree, and also a whole lot of vines. I really
love doing service, you can help people do something that they just
really can't do by themselves. And it really isn't that hard to do! It
can mean the world to someone and you may never even know it.

Thursday was probably the best day on my mission so far. It was how
missionary work is supposed to be. We got up and did our studies, we
ate lunch, then got right to work. We actually worked this day! I have
been telling my companion every day for quite a while that we need to
just get to work. When we did that we saw blessings flow instantly. We
ran into a man who has talked with missionaries before, he seems like
he is just more confused about being Mormon than anything else, but we
can solve that problem :). I don't know the whole day just felt good. 

We had a couple of days that were super solid. Then the rest was just bleh once again. I think I know why I am here and not Brazil. I need to become a leader
in this mission first. Even president Anderson said something along
those lines. Once I become a leader here, I will be able to help the work progress much quicker in Brazil. I won't have any down time once I'm there. I will get there and go straight to work, not worrying
about the language. Because I know that the spirit will help me become
much stronger in that language. The gift of tongues is a real thing.

Heavenly Father gave me all these talents, abilities, and capabilities, and I want to be able to say that I used everything he gave me to give my all to this work. I have yet to find the time to
say that. But I still have a lot of time left on my mission.

I love the members here in this ward. Some of them make me feel like I
am part of their family. Every week we go over to a members house on
Sunday for family home evening. Last night was probably one of the
best ones. We talked about things in our life that show that God
really does love us. Some talked of nature, all the beautiful things
that we have been given. All the mountains, the trees, and the rivers.
How beautiful are those things? Something that I brought up was music.
One of the most powerful tools at least for me in my life. It is also
a language that every single person in the world can speak, and
understand, and feel those emotions it brings.  After we  talked about
those things for a bit we all shared our testimony. Mine has
strengthened so much for the pioneers and all that they did so they
could have the gospel. They had so much faith, courage and everything
that I strive for every day. I would like to say someday that I would
have the unwavering faith that any of those who went through that
have.

A scripture that stood out to me as I am reading through the Book of
Mormon once again. It is amazing. It is so true to all of our lives. We have times in our lives that our hard. And I have learned  as a missionary that could be multiple days of the week but this scripture gives me strength "10 Nevertheless, after much tribulation, the Lord did hear my cries, and did answer my prayers, and has made me an
instrument in his hands in bringing so many of you to a knowledge of
his truth." (Mosiah 23:10)
I am now on page 201 on my second time through since I have left.

I am still looking for musical opportunities every day. We went and did a lot of service at this members house. Who's wife is not a member, I found out that the husband and I are super similar in a lot
of ways, he played trumpet. He was in bugle corps, he plays ukulele, piano, guitar and sings! After dinner we shared a spiritual thought of the Book of Mormon and I felt the spirit so strongly. The non member could feel it too I just know it. Something may come from that. Who
knows. After that I had an awesome opportunity. I played with brother
Clark and sang with him for quite sometime. It meant a lot to him, and
it definitely meant a lot to me too. I think it made his wife happy too by seeing him play and sing again. He doesn't really do it much anymore. Maybe that's what I am supposed to do with music. Just make
people feel better, or good.

I love you all and miss you,

I hope you enjoy the letters I send out.

Elder Parker Hamrick

No comments:

Post a Comment